As a part of Walnut Street’s ministry of teaching, the church supports a weekday preschool program. The foundation of our educational philosophy is the development of self-esteem in the individual child. We strive for a safe, loving, and caring Christian atmosphere within a stimulating environment. Our classrooms will operate a daily schedule providing a planned program of activities geared to the needs and developmental levels of the children served. These activities shall provide experiences that promote the individual child’s physical emotional, social, cognitive, and spiritual growth and well being
- To provide a positive learning environment.
- To provide concrete (hands on) activities in a child-centered program that promotes an awareness of self, others, our world, and the Bible.
- To help children become more independent in developing self-control, following directions, and accepting responsibility for their own actions.
- To provide opportunities of learning through discovery, play, and exploration.
- To give children confidence in their abilities.
- To improve large and fine motor skills.
- To nurture growth in socialization and language skills.
- To encourage new friendships while practicing the Golden Rule.
- To teach the children that God loves them unconditionally.
Preschool follows the Dickson County School System’s schedule. Classes meet Monday through Thursday from 8:45 am to 12:45 pm. We enroll children ages 3 to 5 who are not yet in kindergarten. Children will attend either on Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday. We also offer an extended class for 4 1/2 to 5 year olds that meets Monday-Thursday from 8 am to 3 pm. Additional information for the classes is available on the preschool application.